As there are many uses of Gantt charts, thousands of companies use Gantt charts to become more productive, enhance their communications, forecast over the long term and track results. While some naysayers believe they limit the size of the project that can be tracked, those using Gantt charts note an array of key benefits, including the five listed here.
Gantt Chart Advantages
While there are a number of reasons to use Gantt charts below are five key reasons they are often advantageous:
- Avoid Completion Confusion: Gantt charts were created to keep users on track, providing a visual timeline for starting and finishing specific tasks. By providing a visual overview of milestones and other key dates, these charts are thought to offer a more understandable and memorable method of maintaining timescale-based tasks and deliverables whether tracked on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. Below diagram shows the power of visualization found in Gantt charts. In a glance you can see that the interviews are done, there 50% more to do in training etc.
- Keep Everyone on the Same Page: Where there is a visual framework for the work to be done, there are fewer chances for misunderstanding, especially when it comes to highly complex tasks. Using Gantt charts allow all types of stakeholders to have the same information, set mutually understood expectations, and conduct their efforts according to the desired protocol.
- Understand Task Relationships: These charts can make clear how various tasks are interrelated and perhaps rely on the completion of another to meet specific objectives. These task relationships revolve around understanding the timing of each task, which then impacts other tasks listed. This can better assure the optimum work flow, maximized productivity and overall project success.
- Effectively Allocate Resources: By being able to look ahead on the Gantt chart, users can clearly discern where resources need to be anticipated, allocated or shared to maximize the use of those resources. The more closely the chart is followed, the better chance there is of keeping project costs within budget while also better assuring on-time completion.
- Get a Handle on the Future: While it is often easy to get caught up in day-to-day tasks as detailed on a chart, Gantt chart advantages include helping decision-makers look farther ahead to ensure each given project is working toward the achievement the organization’s long-term strategic objectives.
What about Gantt Chart Limitations?
For those Gantt chart cynics mentioned earlier, this method is not designed to be the cure-all for an organization’s project management ills. There are some situations where other tools may indeed be more effective – particularly in scenarios when a particular milestone or critical task is missing because the project manager didn’t include. Other limitations include the inability to include certain constraints like time, scope, and costs. Overall, however, Gantt chart advantages have been realized by all types of organizations for applicable applications.
Use Gantt Charts More Effectively Using Creately
One reason people are reluctant to use Gantt charts is that of the lack of drawing tools. They usually come packaged with expensive project management tools which are not suitable for simple Gantt charts. Creately makes it very easy to draw Gantt charts by providing you Gantt chart templates and simple drag and drop interface to draw Gantt charts.Detailing a project schedule or a sequence of events timeline is made easier than ever before with this intuitive and feature-rich Web-based software that facilitates chart creation, collaboration and completion in short order. Check out Creately Gantt charts.